View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 01:48 AM  
Bertiebobbins
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Ball recommendations?

Mine have a savic rat sized ball. Nibble never goes in it anymore and Glowy only goes in occasionally if I need him out of his cage for a few mins, as he will try and climb out of the cage whereas Nibble will stay in his neat box while I'm spot cleaning. When they weren't fully tamed they probably used it most days though. Personally I think the ball can be useful if used wisely and safely, as a means of giving them freedom to explore if they aren't tame or you don't have a hamsterproof space.

Regarding then being the same as a wheel, they really aren't. They can always get out of a wheel if they want, whereas they are trapped inside a ball. The wheel has been proven to provide an endorphin release for them, hence they will run and run and run. Mine will even spend time running on a wheel when they're free ranging! running in a ball doesn't provide the same, or hasn't been proven to. In fact I think you would be hard pressed to find any evidence that a ball is beneficial for them in the same way a wheel is.

I think it's up to each owner to make an informed decision about whether to use a ball.
Bertiebobbins is offline   Reply With Quote