View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 11:36 AM  
kyrilliondaemon
Retired Moderator

Default Re: 2 dwarfs in detolf

Personally I'd be concerned a detolf would be too large for a pair. I've seen people suggesting the ideal cage size for a pair to be anything from roughly 60x40cm to 100x50cm and in the end the ideal seems to vary between pairs. Its important to remember that too much space can cause problems as easily as too little space, so if you did use a detolf for a pair of dwarf hamsters I'd suggest making a divider so that you can restrict how much of the cage they have access to at a time - then you can adjust the cage size as needed to keep them happy and if they did fall out then half a detolf each would be a perfectly reasonable cage for them. I've kept a few pairs and groups in the past and if I had to guess at a cage for a pair of dwarf hamsters I'd probably feel safest going around the 70x40cm mark to be honest. I went for the bigger the better with my first group of dwarf hamsters and a few months down the line I regretted it, they had to move to a smaller cage for a few days away and were instantly so much more happy and settled that they never went back to the original cage.