View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Miss Little Pumpkin Spice Latte

Oh my! Such a beautiful girl

I've had five Chinese hamsters over four years and they're a lovely species to own. Often a little shy to start with they do need a bit of time to come out of their shells a bit but they have a lot of personality, charm and intelligence packed into those tiny bodies. They can be very good climbers so they like toys that allow them to do this but it's also important to give them lots of substrate, both as a soft landing and for them to dig in. Both of my current chineseys love their hammocks which I have suspended from the roof of their cages and they like toys with lots of holes in so that they can dart in and out.

All of my chineseys have loved to eat seeds and all but one has loved mealworms. I tend to find that these will go first from the muesli mixes and the bigger pieces are more likely to be left a little bit longer however I have one exceptionally fussy Chinese at the moment who will not eat anything other than the seeds out of a muesli mix and as a consequence is fed primarily on pellet food. She's happy enough to eat this but most aren't!

Something I've noticed is that some Chineseys are happier in bigger cages and others seem quite skittish when given too much space so with my latest addition I've upgraded his cage size gradually, making sure he's got his favourite toys and hideyholes when he has moved. All of mine seem to have liked a bit of familiarity and I'd never have been able to change all of the toys in their cages to suit themes or anything like that and most have gone looking for a favourite toy if they've noticed it is missing.

I'm looking forward to hearing more updates on this little beauty in the future.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote