View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 09:49 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Miss Little Pumpkin Spice Latte

What a surprise! I never expected to see a little chinesey when I looked at this thread, she is totally adorable & her DS colouring is so beautiful, congrats & welcome to Chinese hams!
I'm sure Vectis will give you the best advice with all her experience, I've only had two but have found them different from my other dwarf hams, they are far more agile so love to climb, they also enjoy burrowing like no other & given really good deep substrate their little burrowing systems are a wonder to see, makes me wish I had x ray vision lol!
Diet wise you do have to bear in mind the potential for diabetes but other than that they just love small seeds, mine do enjoy mealworms & other small treats but will always ignore them in the hope that they might still get more seeds! I'm sure some people feed them on pellet/block type food but in my limited experience they do better & are happier with a dwarf mix with those small seeds in it. They love to hoard too, far more than most!
They are a timid species but really do come out of their shells with a little patience & time, once they get to know you they really are the funniest, cheekiest & most adorable little things, you can probably tell I'm totally hooked!
I got my first Chinese by accident really when she just kind of adopted me but once smitten there's no going back I really can't live without one now
Really looking forward to seeing more of your new arrival as she settles in
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote