View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 PM  
Nancy's Hamsters
ST's Hamstery

Default Re: Miss Little Pumpkin Spice Latte

The first Chinese I had was a rescue from a Pet store who had no clue on proper anything for the poor little ones. They gave me a female(Penelope) who had literally ate the tails off 4 males kept with her and of course she was heavy with pups. After she birthed a woman came into the privately owned pet store I deal with and begged them to take her beloved male hamster as she was being forced to move out of Ohio and into California where her Hamster is not allowed legally. The store called me and asked if I could help this girl and Musheu came into my life. I also kept a female pup of Penelope's and named her Mulan. The basics are high protein diets, sand baths and mealworms. Routine testing for high blood sugars, and taking everything slowly. Penelope was very nervous but successfully raised 8 pups to weaning. It took months for her to even think of trusting humans and was more a watch me hamster then a handle me type. They love to burrow in bedding, and they love love love to have toys they can climb. The few Chinese Hams I have had were all very sweet once they got comfortable with me being about, except for Mushu who was a cuddle bug from the start as he was very hand tamed and human accepting. I used to take him out and let him climb about my huge Hibiscus plant. I suspect Penelope and her daughter had Diabetes cause their urine always had a very nasty stink to it which is why I eventually re-homed her and her daughter as at that time I was not on any forums and had no idea they could be diabetic. I just assumed they had a mouse like smell and it was just them. Musheu lived to quite and old age and died curled in my hands asleep at around 3 1/2 years old IF his owner was being truthful on his age when she gave him up.
A very pregnant Penelope
Penilope-g.JPG
Mulan and Musheu who had no issues with other Chinese with him when out playing. Had I known the risk back then of putting two Chinese together I know I wouldn't have done even in hand photos of these two together.
Mulan and Musheu-a.JPG
Musheu when he arrived out for play time
Musheu-DOB 10-10-08-f.JPG

Last edited by Nancy's Hamsters; 01-09-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Nancy's Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote