View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 04:01 PM  
Hekomi
Strong Brew Hamstery

Default Miss Little Pumpkin Spice Latte

So... I had been saying for some time we wouldn't be bringing in any pet hamsters so to allocate all our resources towards the hamstery... but about a year ago we had seen some adorable Chinese in the pet store. I'm loathe to shop from a store, and so we left it. I had said I would love a female dominant spot Chinese... Chinese are a relatively new species in Canada and as such only a few stores have them (for about $30 each) and only ONE store has said they'd seen a "funny coloured Chinese". So I thought it was a pretty huge goal.

A few weeks ago my friend showed me a page where a rescue (All Creatures Rescue) in the area had advertised a strange little hammy with a tail... and sure enough there was a dominant spot Chinese female! After filling out their application and getting the go-ahead (stressful for me as I know many rescues are very anti-breeder - of course she will never ever be bred here and I understand their hesitation), we went to go pick her up. She was called Pumpkin by her fosters and the rescue - my partner wanted to keep her name and just add "Spice Latte".

We hadn't really expected to add another "just pet", and we also hadn't intended to add another hamster so soon after Mocha passed (we'd had this in the work for a few weeks!).

Here she is!

She is going into one of our bins and will stay in QT for a few weeks. She is pretty timid, but very sweet and didn't shy away from a few pats. That being said she is jumpy and it will take some time for her to come around. She seems to quite like meal worms too.

We would love any tips you have to offer on keeping Chinese! She's lovely but did had a rough start in life so hopefully we can make her feel at home here and very much loved!

Hekomi is offline   Reply With Quote