View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 02:41 PM  
Bertiebobbins
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: changing bedding help

There is no need to get rid of poo, just the wee. Hamster poo is not 'dirty' like dog poo! Also, the not cleaning out to often assumes that you have a decent sized cage - can you let us know what your hamster lives in?

I have never cleaned out my hamsters' cages fully and I don't intend to. Their cages are 100x50cm floor space. Nibble had a little clean when he moved cages a little while ago, and I cleared some of his nest out then and changed the oldest looking substrate, but basically it's been left the same all the time we have had him, he is a very clean ham and from day 1 only wee'd in his designated toilet corner. He hates change aswell, if I move anything in his cage I don't see him for three days and just get chattering teeth from his nest! Glowy is a bit of a messy hamster but he still just pees in his toilets (he has 3 of them) and I haven't changed his substrate ever just added more and taken the odd handful out, I never touch his nest.

Also regarding the poo, removing Nibble's poo pile once elicited possibly the worst reaction I got from him - I think we never saw him voluntarily for a week and I had to sneak up on him in the middle of the night to check he was ok, he had piled the poo up for a reason!!
Bertiebobbins is offline   Reply With Quote