View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 12:04 PM  
ReaJayne
Newborn Pup

Question University / college students with hamsters??

I'm a university student renting with roommates next semester and I do not own a hamster yet, but definitely looking into it. It would be great to hear some stories from current or past hamster-owning students and what challenges, if any, that they faced.

Here are some questions to lead the discussion:
My friend said that technically pets were not allowed in her suite, but hamsters and fish were fine. Does anyone else have this experience?
Along with tuition, rent, groceries, etc., does owning a hamster add unneeded financial strain? Is it worth it? Approximately how much extra per month would it cost?
Were your roommates fine with the hamster? Did they make you keep it in your room? Did any of them have allergies? Does the hamster have to get used to everyone, or be re-tamed by everyone?
Did the hamster keep you up at night when you needed sleep badly? Is a silent wheel a good investment?
Does owning a hamster (or any other pet) distract from assignments and getting good grades? Did you regret the added responsibility of having to take care of a pet?
I am thinking of getting the Detolf cage. Does anyone have experience with solving space issues?
As a student, you might move more frequently like going home for the holidays, moving back to your parents' house for the summer, trips over reading break etc. Would this stress out the hamster badly? I would not take the hamster on a trip or home for a weekend though.

Just an fyi, I am not living in residence! Most university residences do not allow any pets, nor is there the space for one. But if you did have a pet while living in residence, it would great to hear your story too!
ReaJayne is offline   Reply With Quote