View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: first time goldfish owner

Agree with Winnie. The Mountain Cloud minnows are better fish to begin with if you are starting from scratch. They don`t require a tank heater, only a filter and remember too that keeping fish isn`t all about the fish, it`s more being a caretaker of water quality. The quality of the water is crucial to the fish`s health and wellbeing, so once you read up on that and perhaps speak to some people in an aquarist shop, you should have more detail on how to set up your tank ready for the fish. Goldfish sadly are not as simple as many people think. They are dirty fish (poo a lot) and the ammonia levels in their tank can become high, so a strong filtration is required and water testing.

The fancy goldfish may be easier if they don`t grow as large as the comets as comets and carp type goldfish, as been said already, need a LOT of space and grow big! I looked into keeping some fish myself and decided against it as it was goldfish I wanted or a Betta and then looked at the smaller cloud minnows and came to the realisation that the cloud minnows would be the easier to keep, but I didn`t bother in the end. Fish are a lovely hobby, but you need to be aware that they can be complex x