View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 03:45 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Tell me all the pros/cons of girls vs. boys :)

I have only had a male and he is huge so I was surprised when people said females tend to be larger - I guess there are exceptions. I have also read of other males being quite lazy and snoozy and ours is a bit like that mostly - but then there are some who are quite active. From what I've read on here, people with female Syrians are often posting fun pictures with fun expressions and funny housekeeping stories like moving substrate around. People who post about their males often post cute snuggly pictures and their males seem easy going. Maybe it's a bit like humans! I read some psychology thing once that said girls deal with things by chatting with their friends, and men are more inclined to keep things to themselves. So maybe females are more chatty and interactive, but our male, in his own little way, is more of a listener!

I like that Charlie will go to sleep on me and accept being stroked. On the one occasion he was very active and rushing about, it wasn't that nice, because he was under stress (after we'd been on holiday and brought him home again) and didn't seem happy, more a bit manic. So his normal way is to be a bit reclusive and independent.

But a lot depends on how they have been brought up as well I think. Ours was a pet shop hamster who had hardly been handled (if at all - they used to get him out in a tube - as a result that is about the only way I can get him out of his cage!). He took a couple of months to tame so we could hold him.

Hamsters like the babies Souffle bred recently, have been handled and used to humans from the word go and that must shape their personalities too.

Sorry - that wasn't a very clear answer! My impression is that female Syrians are maybe a bit more fun and interactive but can be a bit of a pain at times, especially when in heat maybe. Whereas males are generally a bit more laid back but can also be moody at times - ours does it more with looks than actions! (Although he did stick his bum out at me twice when he was annoyed about something).
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote