View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 AM  
velma

Default Re: my hamster is trying to chew off her leg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Don't feel awful. You have taken action to save her! So many people feel that fluffy bedding should be banned. If it was banned people couldn't buy it. You wouldn't have bought it then. It probably said 'safe' on the packet (hmm I wonder if that is a trades descriptions issue).

I am not sad your wee one needs an amputation because it will save her. Your vet sounds great by the way! Your love of her shines through - don't feel bad - it has happened to quite a few people - hence the campaigns to try and get the stuff banned.
Excellent news that your vet is dealing with it all.
I just wanted to echo all of Serendipity's sentiments. Exactly that. And you did take action, you joined this forum to look for advice.

I've owned hamsters on & off for about 25 years but this is the first time I've had proper advice, since I've been in the forum. And turns out, I knew very little! I think with some pets, their basic care needs haven't changed very much in years but as hamsters are newish domestic animals, they're discovering new things all the time about their needs. I think I've fallen into the trap in the past of thinking that what I did with past hamsters (such as fluffy bedding) is still relevant when in fact it's all changed so really, don't feel bad - who knew the world of hamster care is so fast moving?!

I'm glad your vet sounds so useful and proactive. And that you currently have a happier ham. Keep us updated
velma is offline   Reply With Quote