View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 AM  
Scarlett Empress
Hamster Overlord

Default Smokey's DIY cage

I made Smokey a cage a while ago - it was OK but I felt like I compromised a bit on what I wanted to do, and it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be...

Anyway, I upgraded my budgie to a new cage and I thought maybe I could use the bars from the old one in a new hamster cage. This time, I bought all the materials I wanted instead of making do with what we had - surpising how it all adds up! And I decided to make it bigger than the old cage too.

I am so rubbish at taking progress pics so here's the first one I remembered to take!

And the next stage -

The roof lifts off, and the barred panel at the front lifts out too but I can also just open the little original door if I want.

This potato stood in for Smokey while I was planning the interior fittings - not sure I really chose a big enough potato!

A DIY labyrinth house - I didn't want to have walls in with just a hammy size hole. like the ones you buy, because she likes to keep things in her house - carrot roll, whimzees, anything else she can drag in - also she likes to dig all the substrate out and I thought it was easier for her to do that if she has bigger doors. But it's still divided up a bit so she can have her nest and storeroom separate.

She's got a new Karlie Flamingo wheel which I am impressed with - it's screwed to the back of the cage.

It's more or less finished now apart from tweaks and she is living with it but I haven't managed to get any good pics yet!

The length is about 120cm and depth 45cm - not sure how high it ended up. The bottom compartments are for storing her stuff in and she also likes to climb in them and play when she's out of the cage.

The idea was to make something that looked a bit more like a bit of furniture as she lives in my bedroom.
Scarlett Empress is offline   Reply With Quote