View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Possible incorrect dosages? :( advice please

Did both these vets give good reason why your hamster is having to take these medications? Silly question I know, but sometimes vets prescribe these drugs/pain killers because the hamster is giving off signs that something isn`t right, for example, making breathing noises but is otherwise okay. How is your little guy normally apart from making the noises?

Hamsters are not easy to treat due to the regime of dosing and the stress this can cause them if they have to be gripped or held firmly to administer the drug every day. Sometimes applying it to drinking water is the best way over a longer duration, but I know vets don`t particularly like diluting it, but would suggest this protocol if the hamster wasn`t easy to handle or you were finding it difficult to dose/apply. Baytril can be added to drinking water but I have no idea whether sulfatrim could be. I`m guessing not, but sometimes these types of antibiotic are made up from a powder form and water added to the correct concentration anyway, so if that`s what this is, it should be easy enough to mix it with something tasty. Get into a routine with it and make things easier for yourself. x