View Single Post
Old 09-19-2015, 11:28 PM  
ribeye
Newborn Pup

Default Bird seed for dwarf hamsters

I'm getting a hamster about a month from now, and I was wondering what food to give it. I want to be as prepared as possible before I get the little angel.

Being in the Philippines, I've only seen a lot of really commercial hamster mixes that are too high in sugar content and have a lot of unhealthy elements like freeze dried corn and peas which are the biggest hassle to remove and I feel it wastes a bit of my money, since the food doesn't come cheap here.

I was looking around and saw on another thread here that it's alright to use bird seed since the dwarfs love the little seeds, so I'm wondering if it's okay that I just give them that instead. I'm thinking of buying Versele Laga Premium Prestige Tropical Finches seed mixture. It has 13% protein, 5% fat, and 6.5% fiber. I feel like adding maybe two or three freeze dried meal worms will help make up for the lower protein content. The bird seed does, however, contain oystershell. I don't think it's in chunks, since I've seen pictures of the mix and all I see are seeds, I assume it's powdered. But is that okay to give my hamster?

Just hoping somebody could help me out! Thanks so much!
ribeye is offline   Reply With Quote