View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 12:01 AM  
ryanjc
Newborn Pup

Default Re: is this 'play' fighting between Robo's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
You've certainly done your research to give your girls the best chance of a happy life together, it's unfortunate that even so sometimes it just doesn't work out.
It is very early days so they will still be adjusting to their new home so if there's no actual fighting you could monitor them for a bit longer to see how things go but with one being so dominant & the other so submissive I can't help thinking the shyer submissive one might well be happier living alone & come out of her shell more.
I suspect that it's when they're taken from a litter & given a nice big home for themselves that they get a chance to express their own little characters & it may be that this is happening really quickly with yours & the dominant one is thinking this is all mine!!

Hi Cypher and thanks for getting back so quick. I monitored them again last night and there did seem to be less chasing, definitely less squeaking that's for sure. They now have a total of 4 wheels inside the tank! 4! Yet they both want to use the same one! I have an old free standing wheel which went in there when I first brought them home along with a newly purchased 4.5" silent spinner. They haven't used the silent spinner once! Yesterday I went out and bought the larger silent spinner 6"/6.5" and another wheel similar to the one they're using. For the majority they both wanted to use the same old wheel, and when one got in the onther would jump in and they'd run together, even though there are 4 wheels in the tank! The submissive ham again came out later in the night but did seem more confident... I mean she was jumping in the wheel and pushing the other ham out to get her turn! Slightly annoyed I've spent nearly £30 on silent spinners for them not to be used but oh well! They like the noisy wheels!

I should also add that the pet shop I bought the hams for has them already separated into pairs in the shop, which is why I chose this petshop as I suspected the hams would already be used to each other as they have lived together just them two already. After monitoring again there doesn't seem to be any scraps so am I right in leaving them together for now?

I welcome any other suggestions.

Thanks everyone
ryanjc is offline   Reply With Quote