View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 AM  
Joey74
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Taming tips- I'm I going too fast?

Hi all - sorry OP if I seem to be hijacking your thread, we seem to have similar questions

I'm also a brand new hamster owner (as of 3 days ago!). We got a rescue Syrian from the local shelter. We've never had a pet before so I'm reading up everything I can!

I was getting worried as in the shelter my hammy (Ted is her name - they thought she was a boy but is actually a girl, but we felt the name suited her) seemed pretty active, even though it was daytime, but since she has been home she hasn't really left her little house, as far as we have seen. I've sat low down by her cage and spoken to her in a quiet voice in the evenings, and even if I'm across the other side of the room and she comes out, as soon as she sees that I'm watching her, she goes back in.

I guess I just have to be patient? We're definitely not even at the 'eating a treat out of my hand' stage yet. Today I've popped some tissue in her cage that I'd had inside my t-shirt for a few hours, as suggested on here, I'm pleased to say she didn't find me too stinky as she has put it all in her nest!

Should I try and pop her open cage in a secure area, so she can come out and run around a bit if she feels comfortable? Or should I just leave her to do that at night for the time being? We know she has climbed her ladders and gone inside her tubes at night as there are bits of bedding & crumbs of food in them so I guess she just feels happier doing it while we aren't watching her?

I guess I'm just impatient, she is so cute that I just want to be able to see her more...
Joey74 is offline   Reply With Quote