View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 01:46 PM  
static
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Dwarf hamster fur loss and lethargy

Thank you for your input, I just got him back from the vet today. The vet did a skin scraping and no mites or demodex was found. I have been given directions to collect as much urine as possible Monday morning and drive the sample out to the vet. He will test for cortisol levels, glucose, ketones, and a few other possibilities. If abnormal cortisol levels show up, we'll do blood work to confirm cushings. If not and things keep progressing we'll probably try blood work and an xray to test for lymphoma or other such conditions. The urine test is mainly just to eliminate the need for an extra blood test just for cortisol levels if its not cushings (since he's so tiny the vet said they might need to take multiple samples over several weeks if they don't find anything in the first test or two ).

Have any of you guys ever heard of diabetes resulting in skin irritation or hair loss? His levels are all normal, as well as water consumption, so I'm not too sure if this is diabetes related (aside from a compromised immune system), but I figure it's worth asking as well. Also, is it possible this is all just moulting even? The main concern I have is that he sleeps more, but whenever I take him out or see him go out to get food he seems very alert and just as active as always. Is it normal for them to be cranky or itchy if they are moulting, resulting in sleeping more?
static is offline   Reply With Quote