View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 01:21 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Dwarf hamster fur loss and lethargy

Hi static. If you are getting readings for ketones/glucose not being good, then I would suspect diabetes, but a vet could check this for you too just to confirm. I`ve never (knowingly) had a hamster develop diabetes, just old age issues. So I`m not the best person to give advice on the condition. There are better placed members on here who have and are dealing with it so hopefully they will see your post and give some information for you to act on.

Diet can play a role yes, but sometimes the condition can require daily injections and I`m not sure I would want to put a small hamsters through that. daily trips to a vet and never really having stability.

Feed more millet type seeds like Canary seed, fenugreek and find a mix that has no sugars in it. We have a food in the UK called Science Selective heart shaped biscuits, which can be a great help as they are a complete food and can also be softened with water.

Sorry I can`t be more help. Make sure he has plenty of water. How is his drinking? Is he emptying his water bottle very quickly?