View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 AM  
souffle

Default Re: HELP HAMSTERS KEEP DYING

Hi Dee and welcome.
I'm sorry to hear you are having such bad luck.
Firstly are the hamsters Syrians?
It does seem as if the original hamsters contracted or were born with some sort of illness. Hamsters can suffer from sudden death and this is often seen in some lines and you may have been unlucky. Females of any age can get a pyometra or womb infection which is a big killer with females as it cannot be cured. It sometimes has a remission with antibiotics but without spaying the hamster which is risky in itself it always returns. I would say this is probably what happened with your female. Unfortunatly pets@home hamsters have been seen to suffer frequent health problems due to the conditions they are born and raised under before they come to the stores. Tumours developing young in these animals are seen frequently and you did your best for her.
Should you get another hamster? Your male does not need company. They are solitaty animals and should live alone. If he is a dwarf at this age he is too old to introduce a companion anyway so nor worries over him being on his own there.
At this time of year hamsters do get a little sleepier and also he is now mature and has a pattern of activity mainly nocturnal. He is settled.
The loss of the female will also have made him quieter as he will not be smelling her and coming out to check out for a mate.
I'm afraid your main problem is really the cages. The Rotastac pink palace is way to small for a syrian. The tubes and tiny pods they sleep in get damp and musty and the fungal grown can be seen in the condensation sometimes. This is a very unhealthy enviroment for a hammy and can cause chest infections and skin problems. Check him out for clicky wheezy breathing and f you hear this you need to see a vet.They are also a nightmare to clean and to get the hammy out of for taming. The wheels are too small and the hamster has no where to run about in. I would suggest a cage change might perk the young man up. Even a big storage bin as a trial is worth a try. Have a look at the cage review section and see if you fancy anything.
If you would like another hammy the if you let me know where in the country you are I can hopefully find you a breeder who can give you a healthy, happy tame baby for your daughter who has lost hers. You will also have the support of the breeder throughout it's life.
It is of course no guarantee of good health but a breeder hamster has had the best start in life so that does help.
Hope that is of help to you.
souffle is offline   Reply With Quote