View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 03:41 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Help! Very scared new Chinese Dwarf Hamster

It can seem quite daunting when you first get a Chinese hamster but don't worry, she will come round with some time & patience!
I agree with what racinghamster has already said. Chinese are naturally a lot more timid than most other species to begin with but once you gain their trust they really are the cutest, intelligent & cheeky little things.
I would just talk to her quietly (don't worry about her hiding away when you do this to begin with) without attempting to open the cage door, offer treats or anything else for a while, she will soon learn that your presence isn't a threat & begin to venture out when you're around.
Make sure she has plenty of places where she can run & hide if she feels the need so she feels safer.
I know some people do use smaller cages to make taming easier but I started mine in a big cage with lots of hiding places & loads of substrate to burrow in & although for the first few days I thought I might never get more than a glimpse of her I do think it allowed her to feel more confident & in the long run has resulted in a happy & now tame ham!
Lots of patience, letting her set the pace are the key, don't feel there's any need to rush things & you'll create a great bond with her.
Even before they're really tame they are great fun to watch so just enjoy her!

ETA I forgot to mention the tissue trick which can help them get used to your scent & see you as less of a threat. Just put a plain white tissue or some toilet paper up your sleeve for a few hours so it gets your scent on it then put it in the cage, I always do that for at least a few days with new hams.
❤️

Last edited by cypher; 01-05-2015 at 03:59 AM.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote