View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 02:38 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Help! Very scared new Chinese Dwarf Hamster

Hi Chonkers. Chinese hamsters are known for their shy and aloof natures, so what you need to do is take a step back, don`t clean her cage out at all(only spot clean areas) and have plenty of patience. She will be quite scared having been moved from Pets At Home to a new home with new smells and new challenges, so she requires peace and quiet and allowed to settle for a good week or two.

I adopted a female Chinese a few years ago from a member on here and she was a darling. They really do come out of their shells in time, but some can stay shy and prefer their own company. A friend of mine has had two like this.

Don`t take it to heart though because it`s just their way. They are quite mouse-like and are intelligent. Try and sit near the cage and talk to her but even if she doesn`t respond, she will hear you and it`s all about bonding.

Let her come and go from her tube or nest and just allow her to get used to things. I answered your other post regarding a bigger cage for Mulan but remember too that shy Chinese may do well being kept in a cage like a mini Duna. Bigger than the Spelos, but not so large that the space would make her nervous. So perhaps look for a second hand Ferplast mini Duna cage and switch everything from the Spelos into this cage, including bedding and shavings? It has a shelf inside so her sleeping area should be under this shelf for darkness and will give her a nice `den`.

Hope this helps and persevere, but on her terms. x