View Single Post
Old 12-03-2014, 08:48 AM  
Purplephoenix
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster has swollen lump, closed gooey eye...

[QUOTE=greysome;684955]Are you talking about Ensure as in the shakes that come in cans and bottles? There is a ton of sugar in that and I'm not sure whether or not it can be taken with whatever antibiotic he's on. Maybe you can look at pedialyte or something else instead--I think I've heard of people giving their hammies a little pedialyte when they were unwell to help keep up hydration and some electrolytes.
/QUOTE]

I am giving him Ensure because that is what the vet prescribed. I am not using Ensure to supplement anything and only use very little to mix with the antibiotics to get him to drink.

Update: He is looking a little better today. His eye is now open, not all the way but no filmy goo keeping it closed. His coat still doesn't look "clean" and his arms still look red, but other than that he still active and drinking and eating a little. I put him in his ball last night and he did not stop running around. I will be buying some baby food to see if I can get his weight up more but he has always been a picky eater. The vet also suggested to buy some unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider viniger and put a few drops in his water to get him more nutrients, which should help with his coat.

Thank you everyone for all of the amazing suggestions and support! I am still keeping a close eye on him in case anything changes.
Purplephoenix is offline   Reply With Quote