View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 AM  
Emmurz
Hamster Pup

Send a message via MSN to Emmurz
Default Re: Chinchilla dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster mum
I am so angry, I went into pets at home a few weeks ago and asked for the sand stuff you get for chinchillas, as I wanted to see if my hamsters would use it, I said twice that it was for hamsters. Well I was just reading a post on this forum and the stuff they have sold me is apparently dangerous, they have sold me chinchilla dusting powder instead of chinchilla sand. I understand that they are probably very similar but they are selling a product and they should know whether or not its safe. The hammies don't appear to have breathing problems but it could have been very different, sorry for the rant I just don't like the idea of putting my fur babies in danger.
I had exactly the same problem the other day, I needed some more for my little fellas sand bath so decided to go to Pets@Home and we couldn't seem to find any so asked one of the workers where the Chinchilla bathing sand was that I could use for my hamsters and the woman looked at me in a rather confused way and asked us if we meant potty litter.
After explaining what we needed it for she lead us over to quite a big bag of what she said was Chinchilla sand but upon reading the description it was dust, not sand. I told her this was not suitable for hamsters and she said it was pretty much exactly the same, I was furious.

In the end we ended up going to a local pet store and picked up some 'Charlie Chinchilla Bathing Sand' it comes in a milk carton and is very good & inexpensive. I will be buying this from now on as I know it's safe to use.