View Single Post
Old 01-18-2009, 06:24 AM  
Glimt
Hamster Pup

Default Re: I just got a baby hammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souffle
It is more than likely that the female is already pregnant again as dwarf hamsters mate immediatly after birth. The new litter will be due in around seven days I think so you have plenty time to remove the male before he can mate agoin with her and you will have yet another lot on the way. This is very bad for the female as her body will become very run down. I am not sure what type your hamsters are. The look like either a black eyed white campbells and a normal campbells or a Pearl WW and a ?normal WW. I hope they are not one of each as hybrid breeding is not a good idea. They could both be hybrids also.
The baby looks well enough though and you should continue the good feeding with plenty protein. Once the male is removed you can sex the pup if you can. A female can stay with mum and a male can be introduced back to dad at around 4 weeks. Watch them carefully to be sure he accepts his son.
Thanks for your reply. I've ordered cages, so I'll remove him as soon as I possibly can. I wouldn't want my poor hamster to be all worn out. They are both dwarf hamsters, though the female is totally white. I wouldn't know much about the different dwarf hamster races. I don't know much about hybrids, why is it bad? I've sexed it and I'm sure it's a little boy. I'll remember to watch the dad and the boy carefully when they may have to share cages one day. Thanks for your answer, it's very helpful x).
Glimt is offline   Reply With Quote