View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 06:27 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Emergency Mouse Rescue! A bit of an impulse buy...

Hello again, yes, I meant just dip a cotton ball or pad into the saline and gently squeeze the cotton out so that it isn`t soaking. You only really need to apply saline if any of his wounds seem bleeding or open. Otherwise, he should heal up himself. Sometimes trying to apply lotions and potions just makes things worse with mice and in males in particular, they can become prone to something we call OCD (obsessive compulsive scratching) if they get mites caused by stress or by carrying a gene that can trigger this response. But don`t worry about that unless he ever seems really itchy and obsessive about scratching himself.

If he is active, eating, drinking and seems happy in his new home, you can slowly allow him to gain your trust. Mice, especially single males, can get really tame and friendly if they have a routine. Most will sleep during the day but they will be active also when waking for food, a drink and to toilet. Males will scent mark a lot, so the smell you observe is normal. I would advise spot cleaning and only do a full cage/tank clean every month, but always keep back a good amount of his old bedding and substrate as this will keep his habitat smelling like him.

Keep his diet as natural as you can and try to avoid colorants or additives. Mice love seeds like millets and oats. Mouse foods are not easily available, so mixes made for rats are very good for mice, but in my opinion, as long as you can throw caution to the wind and mix up a good variety for him, including little pieces of fresh veggies and apple, he will thrive. x

Edited to add: Don`t allow him to bite you. If he`s prone to nip, don`t try to scoop him in your hands as he`s likely to leap off. Try lowering your arm wearing a long sleeved t.shirt and allow him to put his pawn on your sleeved arm. This is a nice way to let him smell you and get used to you.

Also, I`m a member on here, so please feel free to read the topics and learn everything mouse!

http://www.micearenice.co.uk/new/index.php/forum

Last edited by racinghamster; 04-16-2014 at 06:33 AM.
racinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote