View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM  
leafpool14
Hamster Pup

Send a message via MSN to leafpool14 Send a message via Yahoo to leafpool14
Default Re: Extermely nervous hamster? Help please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz19
Ok I'm going to post in here how we progress with the taming of nibbles (she got this name because on the way back from the shop she nibbled the box all they way) and hopefully some of you people with a good knowledge and experience of hamster training and taming can help me along my way.

Well tonites progess nibbles has came out to get 3 different pieces of food and some fruit off my hand she was very scared and ran straight away with it to eat it where she felt safe, but progress is progress so they say

Well...its a start! :P She's slowly learning that your hand=yummy treats

As you do this more often, she will trust your scent and wont be so nervous when you put her hand near her

i will post more in a min, gotta go out, il finish what i was saying later

Leafpool

Back!!- To make Nibbles more secure, try rubbing your hands in the sawdust to get her scent (sorry, but soiled sawdust has a more strong scent and is recommended) and when you give her treats, make sure to wash your hands! Hamsters have bad eyesight and depend mostly on sense of smell! Nibbles can easily mistake your hand as a piece of food!

Next, when you come to pick her up, scoop her up with 2 hands, you don't want to spook her with your huge hand looming over her, and grabbing her from above when she least expects it...now thats frightening So try to introduce your hands at floor level

Practice makes perfect, and don't stop handling her because you think that your harming her, the minute you give up, it sends a clear signal to Nibbles telling her to behave like this every time you want to pick her up, which will unfortunately make Nibbles untamable (a 'rogue')

I wont give you more methods until you have tried this out, this is the easy method, if Nibbles fails this, then im going to have to give you a stronger method. Try this out for about, a month tops, and tell me your progress weekly

Fingers crossed for Nibbles :P little devil

Leafpool