View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 04:00 PM  
SueJ
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Stop! More important considerations before getting a hamster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboos View Post
Some things you really need to seriously consider carefully before getting a hamster as a pet.
Hi I'm new here so maybe it's a bit cheeky of me to jump straight in, but I was wondering if I could add these to the list, as I believe they are also among the most important things to consider before getting hamsters.

!. Cage Sizes.

On the whole (obviously there are exceptions to this rule) I don't think it's advisable to blindly trust the advice you might get from pet stores on cage sizes. Many of them are way too small and highly unsuitable. Syrian hamsters for example run up to 5 miles a night in the wild, so to be housed in a tiny cage with an undersized wheel is simply cruel. If you have already bought a cage that is too small, please try and rehouse your hamster as soon as you can. You will be rewarded with a much happier, healthier and friendlier hamster.
The RSPCA (UK) give this advice for Syrians:
"Syrian hamsters should be housed in as big a cage as possible. They are large active animals and need space to move around. The RSPCA recommend that the minimum size of cage for a Syrian hamster should be 75cm x 40 cm x 40 cm. (29 ½ inches x 15 ¾ inches x 15 ¾ inches)."

Rat cages are generally very good for Syrian hamsters.
Please check carefully for suitable cage sizes of dwarf hamsters, they also need a lot more room than they are often given.

2. Temperature. Risks of hibernation and untimely death...

Please make sure the room you intend to keep your hamster in will be warm enough. I believe that hamsters can go into hibernation at 60ºF, although an apparently very reliable source recommends the temperature should not be below 70ºF.
They should not be placed in draughty areas or areas that get direct sunlight.

I hope this helps. If you take time to read up on hamster needs and lifestyle, and provide the best care you can, I imagine you will be as thrilled with your hamster as I am with mine! (That's a lot by the way! And I've only had her for 6 weeks)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0790-Edit.jpg (75.9 KB, 7 views)
SueJ is offline   Reply With Quote