View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: PLEASE help. I can't take much more.

That`s good that the chewing has relented. What was the difference in size between both cages? Do you think the new cage is a vast improvement of floor space? Or are the bars narrower?

On the subject of the teeth and harm coming to them as a result of bar chewing, I can`t report any personal incidents with a hamster bar chewing, but I did have a wee gerbil who, lived in a GLASS tank, but had one of those multi-coloured barred hamster play pens. I had two of these which I joined up to make the play area larger. He chewed at the bars one day while I was sitting on the floor while both boys ran about. He suddenly jolted back having got a fright and that was it. Tooth slackened and vet trips each month and a darling little gerbil that I loved, slowly went very thin and downhill because he couldn`t eat properly and all because he was exposed to bars.

I`m all for barred cages that have `narrow` bars like the Kios or the Barney cage, but I really prefer the Zoozone style habitats as a safer home for hamsters who bar chew constantly. It just safe guards any probabilities of injury. x