View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: PLEASE help. I can't take much more.

Syrians (not all) can be good at this behaviour. It`s a `learned` behaviour and one that is usually attention seeking. But without going into the psyche of the hamster mind!.... your best bet would be to find either a large glass aquarium going cheap (nice and long and tall enough for a big wheel) or a Zoozone 2. Or of course, a large Bin storage box that could be adapted by meshing the lid. Meshing the front might cause injury to the teeth, so in this cage, I wouldn`t mesh the front.

The only drawbacks with glass is the weight, so the tank would probably need to be static or on the floor. A Zozone 2 might still have `chewing` spots where a hamster finds weak spots and exploits them, like the water bottle spout gap or managing to reach the grill over the top by climbing up onto a toy to reach it. A metal washer can be used over the hole where the water bottle goes through and screwed into place though prior to preparing the cage.

I wouldn`t use anti-chew sprays. You could try wrapping strips of cardboard through the bars? But bar chewing can be a nightmare, so the above proposals are the ones I would be looking at. Happy hamster, good nights sleep!