View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 PM  
T-Bone
Hamster Pup

Default Sore Nose - *Update*

Hi guys,

Our little dwarf hamster Autumn appears to have quite a sore nose.

I noticed it earlier and put her in our playpen to have a closer look at her. On closer inspection her nose looks quite red and swollen, (especially the top portion) but there is no blood. I checked her bedding for any signs of blood as well but there wasn't any.

To my eyes, her nose just looked swollen but I couldn't be 100% sure there was no puss underneath. It didn't look that way as it looked pink rather than yellow but I couldn't be 100% sure.

Behaviour wise, she seemed normal while I was playing with her. She was quite happy to run around trying to escape from the pen and was very friendly with me as she usually is.

The only difference was that she seemed to be scratching her nose and grooming alot more than usual, so the area is obviously itchy.

Now it looks quite sore but when I touched it myself while she was in my hands she wasn't bothered at all and didn't wriggle or squeak etc.

I have checked the cage to make sure there isn't anything she could have caught her nose on and I can't see anything. The only thing I can think of is her play stix from p@h which she sleeps under as they are little bit rough on the edges (see link, mine is small version) I don't personally think they could have done anything like that though...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MED-FIDDLE-STIX-R ... dZViewItem

Anyone have any thoughts - should I be contacting my local vet about this or should I keep a close eye on it for the next few days or so?

We haven't been to the vets with a hammy before so I really don't know how it works, what it costs etc

Anthony
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote