View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 AM  
MissDay
Newborn Pup

Send a message via Skype™ to MissDay
Default Re: Photo Guide to Making a Bin Cage

Awesome guide!

I recently made a bin cage for my two dwarf hamsters.

I originally bought them a HabiTrail plastic cage, that came with an attached wheel, stairs to their food/water and a tube, going to the bedding underneath, but noticed that they weren't running enough and were getting a lot of bedding stuck under the wheel, making it impossible to spin!

I used a large, rectangular, clear plastic tote for mine, though.
It has smooth sides, and is very deep, so I knew chewing wouldn't be an issue at all.
You can easily find something like this at WalMart. If you're not sure what you're looking for, look up tote cages for Hedgehogs!

I used a knife (be careful!) to "drill" holes in the lid, and on the upper sides (so they couldn't reach them and chew) all the way around the cage.
I preferred this method to attaching wire, because I have kitties. The holes I made are only about a half a centimeter in diameter, so no one can get any paws or claws in there!
I made them about two inches apart on the lid, and three inches apart on the sides.

After I made sure it was well ventilated, I started adding in their water bottles and wheels.
I used a wire coat hanger, wire cutters (again, be careful!) and a pair of pliers to cut and bend a fixture for the water bottle. Then I attached it to the side of the bin by drilling two more holes for it to thread through, and twisting the ends together with the pliers.

For the wheel, we had a little more difficulty, and a lot of wishing and hoping, while trying to attach it.
I started by drilling a hole large enough for the pin (that attached it to the HabiTrail home) to fit through. I had to cut little tabs in it to fit the security end through, so it would hold.
LUCKILY, I got it! It's snug, and they can't get behind the wheel at all to chew on it.
I suggest getting a free standing wheel, though, so you don't sweat over whether or not you're going to ruin your bin home!

After I got the basics attached, I was able to get creative.
Using more wire coat hangers, I attached the platform for the HabiTrail to the side of the bin. It has a nice little niche for one of their food bowls, and stands about a inch and a half off of the floor.

My bin is deep and big enough for their HabiTrail to fit into, as well! So they still have their stairs and platform going to another food bowl, and a built in plastic tube to run through. I just left the top and bottom openings free of obstruction, so they can get in and out of their original home as they pleased.

I laid down bedding, constructed a little tee-pee house out of cardboard, gave them a couple cardboard tubes, and a ton of toys, including bottle caps, wood chewers, and wooden blocks to climb on.
I even made a hanging toy out of twine, ribbon and corn husks!

And everything is secure, and safe for them! I don't have to worry about them falling from anything, or chewing out, or anything else!

I love bin cages, and my hamsters seem much, much happier and healthier with more room to run around!
MissDay is offline   Reply With Quote