View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 AM  
Vectis Hamstery

Default Re: Let's Discuss What You Keep in a Hamster First Aid Kit

In my hamster health drawer I have:

Equipment
*1ml, 2ml and 5ml syringes (for mixing meds, and giving oral meds and water)
Glass dropper bottles (for storing mixed medications)
Heat mat with thermostat
*Snugglesafe
Comb and brush (for any fur issues)
*Nail clippers
Bird feeder (for reluctant hamster nail clipping)
Cotton buds
*Digital scales that read to 1g (I don't weigh my hams regularly but do before vet visits)
*Diastix
Ketostix
*Glass bowls (for water bowls)
Measuring spoon
*Small plastic hospital tanks (I find these easier than the glass tank as they are more portable to prevent disruption to sick hams)
Small cotton 'hamster blanket' (for very sick hams or post op)
Small soft pet cushion (for very sick or dying hamsters)
*Towel (for covering carriers on the way to the vet or wrapping up grumpy hams for meds/injections - comes to the vet with some animals)

Supplements/food/over the counter meds
Dr Squiggles
Calcivet
ProC Probiotic
*Lactol
*powdered baby porridge
*Sweet baby food jar (to tempt very sick hams who need energy)
Electrolyte mix (for ketotic diabetics, not pedialyte/dioralyte due to the sugar content)
Permethrin spray (for mites/fleas)
Cage flea spray
Cod liver oil (for my elderly ham with arthritis)
Arrowroot powder (for poorly tums and nicked nails)
*Johnson's tea tree cream (for dry skin or wounds)
*Small lip balm-sized Vaseline pot (various uses including squeaky wheels)

Medications (to be used under vet supervision)
Septrin
*Baytril
Glipizide (and honey/syrup - see below)
Metacam

Books
I have many hamster health books but the ones I've found most useful are Hamsterlopaedia, Diseases of Small Domestic Rodents and the BSAVA Manual of Exotic Pets

Other
*Vet fund

I've put little stars by the stuff I use most commonly and find of most use when the vets are shut - my vet number is so well used that I have it committed to memory! Most of the rest of the bits are things that could be picked up as and when the need arises.

I regularly clear out any old prescribed medications as most of them would be ones I'd need the vet to see the animal prior to starting, e.g. furosemide, Galastop. I wouldn't want oxygen tanks or the like due to the potential insurance/transport implications plus if one of my pets was sick enough to need oxygen then I feel that they ought to be at the vet surgery. Despite having some medications at home, I still seek vet attention for my hamsters - the meds are more for the situations where a hamster becomes sick out of hours and needs something to tide them over until the next day to see my excellent vet.

I don't feel there is anything additional I would want in my first aid kit. I did want a heat mat for ages but since getting one find the Snugglesafe far more useful. If I have hamsters on diabetic meds, I always make sure I have some honey or syrup in the house in case of hypos (it's only happened to me once, but I was glad I had something on hand).