View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM  
ThePipsqueakery
Senior Hamster

Default Let's Discuss What You Keep in a Hamster First Aid Kit

So what do you keep in your hamster first-aid kit? What do you think everyone should have? What would you love to keep around the house if only you had the money? I'll start, but please note that I always think taking your hamster to the vet is a good idea if you are worried about his/her health, and even a well stocked first-aid kit is not a substitute for a good vet

Things I have in mine:
- Vet phone numbers (including ours in town, the amazing exotic vet an hour away, and the absolute last resort vet that is kinda awful)
- Saline Solution
- Cotton Swabs
- Vinyl Gloves
- Baytril (dry pills, we always take them to the vet ASAP, but we like to have this on hand because sometimes the vet just won't see us/isn't in the office quickly enough, and we have medically fragile and elderly hamsters)
- Veterinary Textbook "Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery"
- Syringes (for giving oral medicine)
- Nail clippers
- Styptic powder
Pytherin (for mites)
- Urinalysis dipsticks (mostly for testing for diabetes but also good for testing if there is blood in the urine)
- Hand sanitizer
- Critical Care
- Pedialyte
- Probiotics
- a good gram scale to weigh them regularly

Things I would love to have but don't or can't for one reason or another:
- A nicely set-up medical tank that has heating, and a hook up for an oxygen tank
- A supply of meloxicam (we have quite a few elderly hamsters in our care and I would like to have it on hand so we don't have to deal with pain in their final days when I know it would do no good to take them to the vet)

There's probably many more things I would like to have, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.
ThePipsqueakery is offline   Reply With Quote