View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM  
Tutu
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Cage floor area comparisons - home built cages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper View Post
I like the idea of using these large Ikea shelves for cages but have no idea how to adapt them exactly. For example the Expedit glass case has gaps down the side that would need blocking somehow - yet would still need to let in air and be remain easy to clean and put back together quickly. The Billy bookcases I actually have - I assume you would need to cut hole in door and cover with wire ? Also could the hamster not chew through the wood eventually, I don't know much about DIY but could get someone to make something if I had some pics for ideas.
I've used expedit glass doors on ikea tv stand and gap is so small that my Syrian can't escape you can use hard metal mesh sheet as back wall so habitat is well ventilated.
About exposed wood ikea stuff is actually really well put together and not much exposed wood material around the joints so my hamster has no way of starting the chew mission.
You should go through "let's see you cages" tread as there are some good ikea conversions.
I find ikea is really good for hamster stuff really and wondering why they change their name into ikea pet store or something like that hehehe
Tutu is offline   Reply With Quote