View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 01:49 PM  
kittyp
Newborn Pup

Default Blankets/Tea Towels as hamster bedding?

Flick has wood shavings in her cage and within two days there is shavings all over my bedroom floor (I keep in there so I can lock her away from the cats). Drives me absolutely nuts and so last night I was thinking about how Guinea Pig keepers just use fleece and how much easier that would be. Flick has never peed anywhere but her litter tray so it wouldnt go all soggy and yucky and she has a sand tray in her cage and a massive 'sensory area' in her playground that she can dig in.
At first I thought towels, as an IKEA hand towel would fit almost perfectly in her cage but towels often have a lot of loose threads so a bit too dangerous but I can't really see fleece being a problem. Or those tea towels that aren't all 'thready' She never chews the fleece blanket on my bed or the towel under her playpen so I don't think she would chew it in her cage.
But I'm no expert on hamsters and the whole woodshavings thing is getting frustrating (I have to Hoover like every day) so I just want to know if fleece could work, so long as she doesn't chew it. Or like clean printer paper or something?
Thanks
Anna
kittyp is offline   Reply With Quote