View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM  
Hamtastic
Retired Moderators

Default Re: Chronic Kidney Disease / Chronic Renal Failure: diagnosis, "treatment" options

Hopefully your new dwarfy is okay! I've updated the guide slightly to reflect personal experience, for example adding that fresh veggies when boiled in soup result in spoiling it a lot faster (when it sits out in a dish until the next dose). Nowadays, I just boil grains and tiny bits of pasta and exclude vegetables, and give a fresh refill every 24 hours--sometimes more often. The cooked soup is good for about 3-4 days in a fridge, depending on how good your tupperware is--I got a nice glass container with a good cover seal.

Lucy's been on the soup exclusively since before I posted this guide, and I also still supplement Hills Prescription Diet K/D pellets--one-two a day (they are tiny) and periodically puffed grains. I also add things like timothy hay cubes every once in a while, and walnut bits as treats every couple weeks.

I think it's just Lucy who is so healthy in general, but she's full of energy, and runs around like mad when she's out. She's skinny, but her fur is in a good silky condition. She's been kind of hunched over for a good long time now, but does not seem to be in any sort of discomfort. I think she's mostly blind now, which is causing some changes in her behavior, but other than that and her appearance, she's far more active than my much younger other dwarfies.