View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 06:03 AM  
Bekki2308
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Help! No ratration mix for hamsters until further notice- any advice what now?

My hamsters have been on a commerical food mixed with bird seed type arrangement for many months now. They have approx 50-60% commerical mix and 40-50% bird seeds and other extras. It works out at 15% protein and higher fibre than standard UK mixes, but in line with the German type mixes and a fat content in line with both UK standard and German standard mixes. They get fresh vegetables usually daily and treats such as baby food about once a week as well as all the "standard" treats, this varies depending on hams age. Hamsters below 6 months who need the extra protein get extras such as mealies/chicken/egg/tofu several times weekly, 6-12 months old get high protein treats about 1x a week and hams over 1 year get no high protein treats as they get enough from their base mix. As with all nutrition for small animals really this is my opinion on how to feed them, decided on through thorough research in the field and anecdotal evidence.
Bekki2308 is offline   Reply With Quote