View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 03:12 PM  
kyrilliondaemon
Retired Moderator

Default Re: How to make a hamster first aid kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkers4hamsters View Post
-Any mediation/creams you may have
Just one issue with that, I'm really strongly against the use of human medications (including basic antiseptics) on pets in emergencies. Plain boiled and cooled water with salt added is plenty good enough and there's a lot less risk of allergic reactions. The last thing you want in an emergency is to put some cream on a cut and find an allergic reaction.
Its not something you'd think of but I've got an allergy to savlon and for weeks I didn't realise, I just had every single fresh cut the savlon touched ending up mildly infected. Not something you want to have even a tiny risk of causing in your hamster when there's a safer alternative, in such a small animal it could potentially be the difference between the pet living and dying.

One other thing you might want in a ham first aid kit would be the emergency vets phone number. I honestly think that it'd be the only thing I'd want in a true emergency for a ham, they're so small that we can't really do much in an emergency without vet assistance.

Oh and as far as I'm concerned my human first aid kit (which I've only got because I used to love walking to the middle of nowhere and back reguarly and out there - yes, you need one) can easily be used in most pet emergencies so as a general rule I just keep that sufficing for everyone who really needs it. Non emergency stuff can be elsewhere for both humans and pets.