View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 12:00 PM  
souffle

Merged for Bunsey

I use this cage for single winter white dwarves and i have to say it's my favourite cage for this purpose. It would also be suitable for a chinese or pair of robos or campbells dwarfs. I would say it was too small for a syrian or pair of winter whites.

It measures about L 22.5" (57cm) x W 15.5" (40cm) x H 10.5" (26.5cm)

It comes with plastic shelving, wire springs, a plastic tiny hut and a water bottle, but i throw all of this stuff away and design the layout myself! I worry about legs getting trapped in the springs.

The water bottle is like a bird water bottle, with a flat open bottom where the hamster just laps up the water. However, it could easily get full of bedding or be splashed everywhere.

I buy a new water bottle from Wilkos or any pet shop and attach it by putting the spout through the small round hole at the end. Then get a piece of bendy wire and wrap this around the bottle and poke the two ends of the wire through the two tiny holes on the top of the cage, above the spout hole.

for a dwarf, you then need to get a bendy bridge, such as those shown in the pictures to enable the hamster to reach the bottle. They have no problem finding it.

For the rest of the cage, i add my own wooden hut for sleeping, a wheel and other toys. You can have the bedding as deep as you like as it can't be flung out. For dwarfs, there's no need to use the grill that comes on the top, as long as you don't have very tall toys that they could use to climb out.

Here's some pics of my set-ups.

souffle is offline   Reply With Quote