View Single Post
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 PM  
crazycatlady5
Newborn Pup

Default Re: ***Cages in the USA***

I upgraded to the two story Ware Natural Wood Cage for Rats [sold at Petsmart right now] to provide my dwarf with more options and a less claustrophobic habitat. He has two wheels which fit perfectly on the second tier, and his food and water are on the third tier, so he must travel up two ramps to eat and drink giving him exercise other than his wheels. The base is quite deep which allows for an appropriate amount of substrate so he can make his tunnels. The horizontal bars make it easy to add other levels with wood planks or pieces from other cages which can wedge between the bars. The bar spacing is small enough - he has never tried to squeeze through and I don't think he could. The wood ledges are wide enough - although they could be wider which would be ideal. Despite climbing the bars on occasion and taking a short fall - he has never climbed to the very top and he has never been injured.

If you can't make a bin cage (like me), then this is a cage to consider. I know more experienced hamster people will probably dislike the climbing and falling bit to my little review but I love my hamster and would never keep him in a cage that he could be seriously injured in. He is fine, I assure you.

crazycatlady5 is offline   Reply With Quote