View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 AM  
elly
Newborn Pup

Default Re: New hamster taming / jumping off bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I can't think of much to add to the advice already given but I know with my boys that they were very different in their taming process'. Thor was already tame when I had him as he was a rescue at 6 months old. I waited until he was comfortable in his cage before I started handling him, he still hates being picked up at first but I'm very gentle with him and make sure to safely cup my hands when I pick him up. As soon as he's been cupped for a moment or two he stops wriggling and realises it's a good thing to come out of his cage. He's started coming to my hands to sit on them now when I put them into the cage. As for Loki, I have to let him play in his ball first and then I let him crawl out of his ball and onto my lap. He'll play happily there for a while and then it's back into the cage where I let him play with my hands a bit longer and then he's happy to play by himself after that. It's just a matter of getting to know what your hamster likes doing, I'd never try to pick up Loki and haul him out of his cage like I do with Thor, he's get frightened and run off so I scoop him with the ball and he's happy with that. Just have an experiment and see what your hammy would rather do and have plenty of patients too, though it seems like you're on the right track already
She has begun to be more calm already, and also, my neighbors dogs are named Thor and Loki :P
elly is offline   Reply With Quote