View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 PM  
bulletr0k
Hamster Pup

Default CritterTrail Starter Habitat

I bought this cage along with my hammie, Nayru, at a local pet store. The cage has a clear plastic top and bottom, and wire sides, with a nice locking mechanism for the front door and a pop latch on the top.

The wheel, for a syrian, is too small and fairly noisy. It also came with a water bottle (that was very nice, with a steel tube and no way for the hammie to chew the bottle itself), a food dish (rather large compared to others I've seen, and Nayru started flipping it over after about a week), and a woven hanging hole (Nayru never used it, but it's solid and looks comfortable, your hamster may vary.)

My biggest issue with this cage is it's size. It's very small for a Syrian, with no space for them to really run around, especially with the small wheel. It's would be suitable for a dwarf hammy, but there's little space to place toys. If paired with a second cage and connected with tubes, it may be more fitted for larger hamsters, but that isn't very cost-effective. My second issue is that for larger hamsters (Or strong willed hamsters), can pop off the top of the cage with their heads and escape. Nayru popped it off a few times and managed to escape, but we caught her quickly.

If you're looking to house a dwarf hamster temporarily, I'd probably check this cage out. If you're housing a hammie permanently, I'd avoid this cage unless you're connecting it to another cage.
bulletr0k is offline   Reply With Quote