View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM  
Vectis Hamstery

Default Re: Pyometra Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolcatNatNat44 View Post
Other options
The vets told me the only other option was to keep her on baytril for the rest of her life. The problem with this is that the medication did not work last time and it would cost £19 a month! Never say yes to this option, its quicker, cheaper and much easier to go with the op straight away! And obviously dont leave your hamster in pain and not do anything about it!!!!
There is another option - high dose Baytril and a medication called Galastop. I have had good success with this in a girl who was not fit for surgery (there are some situations in which surgery is not appropriate such as the hamster being elderly or frail). My vet prescribed double dose Baytril twice a day in addition to the Galastop. Initially we gave one week's course, but the symptoms recurred after a month, so she had a further fortnight and stayed symptom free until her death 5 months later.

It's not entirely clear to me or my vet how Galastop (generic name: cabergoline) works in the context of pyometra and I couldn't find any literature about it apart from a single sentence in Hamsterlopaedia. To be honest, when it worked I decided I didn't really mind how it worked, just that it did! Galastop is a solution and the cat strength is diluted in water and given once a day. I would recommend using a glass bottle and having plenty of spare syringes as it's strong medication and doesn't react well to plastic. Also it shouldn't be handled by pregnant women (full info in the info leaflet with the medication).

I wouldn't choose this over a spay in a younger fit hamster, but for the oldies who seem more prone to pyo it offers a little hope.