View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 PM  
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
Robolicious Bobtails

Default Re: Breeding hamsters

There is definitely no harm in breeding hams so long as you stick to the basic rules, start with good stock for a reputable breeder (this can mean travelling a couple of hours to get to one), make sure you know all that you can about breeding itself as the others have mentioned in examples above, create a good bond with the parents first and finally only breed to create and continue healthier lines and/or further a colouration.

I've been researching breeding roborovskis since early 2011 and in that time I glanced over Syrians as a possibility for which species I may decide to breed after a couple of years with robo lines but I found that the amount of coat colours and the complexity of their genetics put me off ever wanting to breed them, I was too worried that I would get confused and make a mistake! In terms of genetics roborovskis, winter whites and Chinese are the better ones to go for as they have less variations in colour and patterns so if you did ever feel during your research of Syrians that they were becoming too confusing but still wanted to breed hams those species are an option I'm not saying that any hamster species is easy to breed but for me personally breeding Syrians is jumping in at the deep end!

Anyway you have been given a lot of great advice as it is and believe me the researching is wonderful when you begin to find out new things so don't feel daunted by the fact it may take a couple of years, you will know when you are ready to breed hams though and when that time comes its the best feeling in the world!

PS
Quote:
Breeding (Robos) is something I want to do "some day in the future"
I may have some Bobtails available for you when that time comes
Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote