View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 AM  
StarlightSerenity
Wicked Witch of Manchester

Default Re: Breeding hamsters

I agree with what others said, just want to add one thing - only do it if you can get a good breeding pair as well.

I don't think you would be ready for breeding for a long time, certainly as you are still in school (I think, sorry if you're not!) and it is a lot of responsibility. I know you did (or didn't do) a couple of general hamster care things that you shouldn't have (or should have) and that worries me a little.

Why do you want to breed in the future? If you have a good reason to do it and will do it ethically and be responsible about it all then I think everyone here will support you, point you in the direction of information sources regarding genetics and what have you.

Breeding is dangerous for the mother - pregnancy is dangerous for any animal, so is the birth and raising the offspring. There are so many complications that can happen and there is always risk. But, if you know what you're doing, breed ethically, you will minimise these risks. If I were you, I'd read the story of Hush Puppy before deciding to even start researching.
StarlightSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote