View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 AM  
Silver
Banned

Default Re: Why Protein 19% Fat 6% Fibre 8%? (Over here Silver!)

There is only one mix apart from mine that has the same % & that is Harry Hamster which is endorsed by the National Hamster Council.

On my travel's through the year I did my research I found many different % were said to be good for hamsters. But the more I looked into it, the more I was leaning towards the Harry Hamster %'s.

With my three that I had at the time Joe & Jan still with me Mandy passed, I fed them Burgess dwarf mix because it was what the pet shop sold to me when I brought Mandy. But I found that every now & then they lost weight, they just went thinner so I was feeding them porridge & weetabix to get some weight back on to them. I have read about NHC Breeders saying that through the winter the hamsters can loose some condition, but mine were doing it any time of the year. I knew this was wrong but did not know then why or how to correct it. Then I started the year of research.

I think lower % of protein is why my three were loosing weight. Since I have fed mine on the mix's I made they have never lost weight again, that have maintained a good weight.

It is surprising how quickly they burn off the food, there little body's go so fast you only have to watch them breath at the rate they do to understand this.

The sugar in different seeds/grains varies so much & it sounds silly but I do not take it on a individual basis I take the whole mix into consideration so yes take sunflower seeds do have a little sugar but it is little & they have so many other benefits Protein/fibre/vitamins. So I guess I look at individual items as a whole not just the not so good like sugar, but what good they bring also.

Silver xxx
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote