View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 AM  
kyrilliondaemon
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Should i buy pet hamsters from pet stores?

Vicki - Simple, by buying from the pet shop you support the idea of the horrible way those animals were bred. If you wait a while any unsold - at least in some stores, go up for rehoming instead. Then it becomes adoption rather than purchase, the animal gets a great home and the horrible way it was bred isn't supported by the person who homes it.

By buying pet shop hams all those of us who do/have done it (and I have too) just support the rodent mills. If we don't buy from pet shops we don't support the rodent mills and we help with a very slow movement that I hope will one day end the rodent mills. Puppy farms are a lot rarer now than they were and I believe/hope that if enough refuse to buy their animals from pet shops one day rodent mills will become a lot rarer too.

Not buying the pet shop hams doesn't do them an injustice as they will be homed eventually. In my view buying them does lots of hams an injustice as you effectively support the suffering happening in rodent mills and contribute to the suffering of hundreds of hamsters (and other rodents).