View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM  
Pouchy
Hamster Pup

Default Hagen Rodent Exercise Dome

I use this cage for my dwarf hamster instead of the Mini duna and am happy with it.

Size 67cms x 36 cms x 47 cms high. Cost zooplus quote £49 but got mine for £2 + p+p from zoopetcare ebay due to slight damage to base

Whats in the box

Wire cage top in black
White deep base tray
2 plywood platforms
2 plywood ramps
1 build it yourself plywood house with red roof
1 largish 8 inch wheel
2 logs with hole bored through the middle of them.

Wire Cage
Distance between bars is about 7mm so ideal for dwarf hamsters and possibly Robo's. No escapes. Two small doors on the front that will fit FOP cage connectors for expansion and one super large easy access door in the dome roof - a great plus point. Painted black so easy to see through even though the bars are close together. Lots of space for climbing and would be fine for Syrians too as well as dwarfs.

Base tray
Nice and deep for bedding. Cleaning out is a joy. Just lift off the wire part, empty, wash or wipe add new bedding, replace toys and that's it.

Plywood platforms
Go the whole width of the cage and fit easily between the bars but don't overlap lengthwise. Made of plywood so should be painted with Plasticote or similar to protect them. Increase the surface area for running to almost double.

Plywood ramps
Have two hooks which fit into the platforms. Need to be painted for safety.

Plywood house
Similar comments apply but as its wood there is no danger of moisture collection and resulting mould problems for your hamsters bedroom.

Wheel
8 inches is a good size and is solid but is a bit narrower than other wheels. My dwarf had no problem with it and it is very sturdy and doesn't wobble at all but needs vege oiling at the outset so it runs quietly.

Logs
Nice idea instead of plastic tubing. However the holes going through them are of a small diameter so only a robo could fit through which makes their inclusion a waste of time. Have given them to my other animals as gnaw exercise.

Conclusion
A good roomy cage which is ideal for most small animals of Syrian hamster size or less. Best feature is the large roof opening door for easy access. Plenty of room for adding climbing frames etc into the cage.

[/img]
Pouchy is offline   Reply With Quote