View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: *PLEASE look* Hamsters making noises? Is this normal? Active and well!

souffle is right. If he`s new and hasn`t had time to settle he may be feeling stressed. You mentioned you took him to school? Why is that? Car journey`s can be stressful for a hamster. Cleaning their cage too often can be stressful, especially their nesting area as this is their little domain where they feel `safe`. I personally try not to over clean my cages because they never really become dirty as I spot clean each day and add-back a handful of substrate here and there where necessary.

The noises could well be as the other members have said since some hamsters are vocal, but adult syrians usually only growl if their sleep is disturbed. Young syrians I`m not sure about as my lad was 7 months old when I rescued him an even to this day, I never hear a peep out of him!

If your hearing these breathing noises when he`s asleep only and the noise sounds like a pattern, breathing in and out and the noise reflects the breaths, he could have a respiratory problem and need Baytril for a week or two. If his activity lessens, there is definately something a miss.