View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 AM  
Angelhamster
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: When can I pick her up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimes View Post
Its all down to the individual hamster. My friend's hamster doesnt bite - he just wees on you.
lol!

I think it's tough to say when you can pick her up. It does depend on your confidence level and hers. If you're not confident and react nervously when her face comes into contact with your fingers, it'll make it harder for both of you. Fortunately, I've never had any trouble when it comes to picking up any of my hamsters or even taming them. Yes, they should be in charge to a certain extent but you also have to be confident. Continue to talk to her, offer her treats and generally let her know that being picked up by you will be fun! You'll also need to to be able to if you carry out health checks.

Going off topic, I've not had other breeds/species/types (whatever the right term is!) but I would definitely say that Syrian's are no more or less likely to bite you than 'others'. It's a reaction to all sorts of different things they might be feeling or sensing (e.g. fear or smelling food on fingers etc).

Good luck
Angelhamster is offline   Reply With Quote